The author of Tarikh-i-Kabir Molvi Mohi-ud-Din Miskin Saraibali , who was the beneficiary of Mirwaiz family, mentions that he had learnt from his murshid Mirwaiz Moulana Mohammad Yahya that it is written in the biography of Mirwaiz Siddiqullah that “ he was the disciple of Sayid Ghulam Shah Azad Khanyari. Their ancestor had come to Kashmir alongwith Mir Mohammad Hamadani (RA) and had settled in Tral village. This family of Mirwaizs belongs to this Waiz Siddiqullah Trali, who live now at Srinagar near Rajori Kadal instead of Tral. The ancestors of this family were living on agriculture in Tral for a pretty long time. They still have their relatives over there.” Besides this Mirwaiz Moulana Mohammad Atiqullah writes in an article about his family that, “it is a fact that along with Hazrat Shah-i-Hamadan (RA) many Sayids and Sufis came to Kashmir for preaching Islam. After Shah-i-Hamdan left these men of great caliber remained here for preaching of the religion.”
- Molvi Siddiqullah Sahib (RA): Late Molvi Siddiqullah (RA) adopted Tral as his residence and remained busy in his ancestral duty of propagation of religion. He established a religious madrasa over here.
- Molvi Abdul Salam Sahib (RA): He was the only son of Molvi Siddiqullah, who was bestowed with five sons.
- Molvi Abdu-r-Rasool Sahib (RA)- known as Akhond Lasa Baba Sahib. He was the grandfather of the founder of Anjuman Nusrat-ul-Islam Hazrat Mirwaiz Moulana Rasool Shah Sahib. In order to quench the thirst of people Moulana Lasa Baba Sahib migrated to Srinagar and firstly he resided at Mohalla Islam Yarbal near Pather Masjid, later he shifted to Rajouri Kadal near Jamia Mosque. In his house a lamp got lit up, which brightened the Mualims of Kashmir.
- Molvi Mohammad Yahya Sahib (RA): Moulana Hafiz Molvi Mohammad Yahya touched the heights of knowledge and was crowned as Mirwaiz (Chief preacher) of Kashmir. He had full hold on Quran and Hadith and had the qualities of a darvesh. Besides preaching and imparting advice, he was adept in teaching lessons of Quran and those of Hadith. He had a deep insight on grammar too. That is why many students got benefitted by him. Along with being a distinguished scholar, he was of kind temper. He would benefit people with the grace of a Qalandar and it was his procedure to guide them to the straight path. He was a frequent visitor to the house of Shaikh Abdul Gani Shah Sayid Suhrawardy Zoonimari. He wrote several books in their domestic mosque at Zoonimar. Later on his son Molvi Rasool Shah was married to one of the daughters of Gani Sahib. A number of chronograms have been written on his death, which itself has been published in the form a book. One poet has written the following chronogram:-ادخل
الله روح القدس جنة العدن تحتهاالانهار
5.Mirwaiz Molvi Rasool Shah Sahib (RA):
- In this blessed spring a lotus flower bloomed, whose fragrance spread around all corners. This great son who spread the fragrance of the country, creed, maturity, faith and guidance was named Molvi Rasool Shah Sahib (RA). He threw his net on the horizon for seeking knowledge, practice and exaltation and to achieve greater heights. On the directions of his father, he would go to the suburbs for preaching religion, particularly Islamabad, Shopian, Bijbehara, Baramulla and Sopore, where he started a campaign of reformation, sermons and preaching and made the sound of Quran, Hadith, Sunnah and directions of Fiqah reach up to the people. During these visits, many people entered his circle of students and when his father went for Haj pilgrimage, he was appointed his successor. Among his important tasks were:
- Along with imparting education, initiate steps for human welfare.
- Repair of dilapidated Ali Masjid Idgah and Khanqahi Naqshbandya.
- To help the needy and poor children and possible help to the poor citizens and the laborers.
- Assistance to the visitors of Khanqahs and Shrines by way of providing hostel facilities and travel expenses to them.
- Arrangement for providing free books to the students.
- Arrange financial help to the city victims of frequent calamities like cholera, plague and other diseases, besides their spiritual treatment.
- Along with solving religious problems, provide the possible guidance for the resolution of worldly affairs of the people.
- Since the rulers of the time acknowledged his gentleness, nobility, understanding and skilful discernment; whenever any person would be facing some problem, he would approach the concerned ruler to get it solved.
- He laid the foundations of a Primary school in Srinagar in 1317 AH to impart religious and the customary education, which developed later on into Middle and ultimately Islamia Higher Secondary Scool.
- He formed a society of some educated and helpful persons from Kashmir and Punjab, which he named “Anjuman Nusrat-ul-Islam” in which even the opponents also joined later on. This madrasa became a high school with the efforts of Mirwaiz Hasan Sahib and was recognized by Punjab University. The establishment of this high school by him is a notable achievement of Mirwaiz Rasool Shah Sahib, which served as the foundation for the development of education and awareness among the Kashmiri Muslims and this institution produced many stalwarts, but due to changing times and conditions, the helplessness of Muslims and to some extent due to negligence, this school could not develop into a full-fledged College/University.
- Besides prayers, hard struggle, he would spend time in teaching lessons, writing books, studying books and in ‘awrad’ and ‘wazajf’. His books on the current events are the result of his brainwork, which include “As-saiful Masool Ala min khalif qawli-l-Rasool” السيف المسؤل على من خالف قول الرسول and the Arabic commentary on Kibryat-i-Ahmer worthy of mention. On his death so many people followed his Janaza in a procession from Rajori Kadal to Idgah, that two bridges got collapsed and hundreds were injured and rendered unconscious. One mile distance was covered in three hours. The funeral prayer was led by his brother Mirwaiz Ahmadullah Sahib offered by over a lakh people. Muslims and non Muslims wrote chronograms in his favor. One faithful wrote as under:—تمكين و تعليم ورضا وعمل،صدق وصفا هم زينت اهل ذكاء بى سرشدندازبس جفا 1337
- Mirwaiz Ahmadullah Sahib (RA): He was a great acetic and pious person. Besides Jamia mosque, he would deliver his sermons often at Hazratbal and would remain absorbed in the love of Prophet (SAW). Those who attended his discourses would say that when he would say salutations to Prophet (Darood-i-Hazur), it would often be felt that as if he is in the durabar of the Prophet (SAW) and as if he presents the gift of “Darood” directly to him. It was the result of his preaching that most of the people who were illiterate had committed to memory many ayat of Quran with translation and Hadith Sharif. On his death most of his followers and lovers received an extreme shock, which could not be rectified.
- 06.Mirwaiz-i-Kashmir Moulana Mohammad Yousuf Shah Sahib (RA):
- Due to his great contribution in the fields of education, preaching and politics, his name shall be remembered for ever in the pages of Kashmir history and shall serve as a torch-bearer to future generations. His following works shall shine like a lamp post-‘minar’.
- Establishment of Oriental College Srinagar –an Arabic and religious darsgah, where the thirsty of knowledge could quench their thirst of Tafsir of Quran, Ahadis-i-Rasool (SAW), Fiqah Islami, Asool-i-Fiqah, Seerat-i-Rasool (SAW), History of Islam, the grammar of Arabic and Persian languages, Arabic and Persian literature (poetry and prose) etc. and prepare trained Imams, Khatibs, Reformers & Preachers to fulfill the general needs of the public.
- After completing his education at Deoband in 1924-25, he established the Khilafat Committee – the first political organization in Kashmir in 1926-27, which however remained confined due to ignorance of masses and Government terror. But this Khilafat Committee founded by Moulana Yousuf Shah-“Noor-i-Islam” served as the cornerstone of the political explosion that took place in 1931.
- The political movement of Kashmir that started from 1931 has crossed many stages till date and it has grown into a fully fledged tree. The credit for initial planting of this tree and to water and nourish it also goes to “Noor-i-Islam”- Mirwaiz Moulana Mohammad Yousuf Shah Sahib. The first conference held at Khanqahi Mualla in 1931 was also presided by him. He continued to serve as Chairman of the dedicated representatives selected in this conference, which was a herculean task to stand against the Dogra rule.
- After 1940 the attitude adopted by Moulana Sahib in different circumstances has remained a chapter of the history. He seconded on behalf of the Muslim Conference the mission of the founder of Pakistan Qaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah on his visit to Kashmir.
- The greatest job that shall last till the last day is his easily understood Kashmiri translation of the Holy Quran during his migration to Rawalpindi. It has been republished and released on his anniversary meet at Ali Masjid Idgah on 17 Ramzan 1436 / 05.07.2015 He passed away on 17 Ramdhan 1388-(on youm-ul-Badr).
07. Shahid-i-Millat Mirwaiz Moulana Mohammad Farooq Sahib: After the migration of “Mahajir-i-Millat” Hazrat Mirwaiz Moulana Mohammad Yousuf Shah Sahib, the pulpit of preaching and sermons remained silent from 1946 to 1962 AD i.e. for about 16 years. Although Mirwaiz Atiqullah Sahib could hold this stage, yet because of his old age, seclusion and acetic life, he was not prepared to take this charge. His elder son Moulana Noor-ud-Din Sahib could have been an alternative, but he too followed Moulana Mohammad Yousuf and preferred migration to Pakistan. At last when Mirwaiz Atiqullah died in 1962, the thirsty listeners of sermons requested Molvi Mohammad Amin Sahib, who was bed-ridden due to sickness, to bring forward his son Farooq Sahib to deliver this duty. At last he was tied with the turban of honor when he was only 17 years of age and the sound of Quran and Hadith was heard again from Jamia Masjid and other mosques.
In 1962 on the displacement of Holy relic “Moi-Muqaddas” from Hazratbal, an “All Parties Action Committee” was formed, of which he was elected as the Chairman and he delivered at a young age his assignment amicably till the recovery of the holy relic. Steps were taken under him to improve the surroundings of Jamia Masjid. The publication of the monthly risala, “Nusrat-ul-Islam” was started in 1972. The publishing of Moulana Mohammad Yousuf Shah’s Kashmiri translation of Quran was completed. Being interested in Indian Muslims, he got representation in Muslim Personal Law Board and Majlis-i-Mashawarat. Being interested in writing and composing, he got many books published, which include “Islam ka Afaqi Paigam”, “Islam ke Bunyadi Talimat”, “Islam ka Sandesh”, “Islam ke Ihsanat” etc. Moulana Sahib took active role in politics and remained steadfast till last on seeking the right of self determination for people and in this very struggle he attained martyrdom in the end in 1990.
08.In his place his young aged son Molvi Mohammad Umar Farooq was chosen as his successor, who is following the foot-steps of his father in discharging the duties of Mirwaiz and other political and social activities.